Easier, healthier, quicker, tastier chicken nuggets. Who wouldn’t want that? These are really easy, foolproof and delicious. For the coating I used panko breadcrumbs, as I like the crispier texture. Added grated halloumi to that and some Italian seasoning. Mixed with olive oil et voila! The perfect coating. Did I mention they are oven-baked? They come out crispy, golden, and gorgeous. Serve with a nice salad and lots of lemon wedges.
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts, cut in strips
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs (you can substitute fresh breadcrumbs)
- ¼ cup olive oil plus more for brushing the pan
- ½ cup Halloumi cheese, grated
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning (mixed dried herbs)
Preheat oven to 210 C. Mix the egg and mustard in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix again. Add the chicken fingers and stir to coat.
In another bowl, mix the panko breadcrumbs with the olive oil. Mix with your fingers to distribute the oil evenly. Add the halloumi and Italian seasoning. Mix again.
Brush a baking tray with olive oil. Taking one strip at a time, coat chicken strips with the panko mixture, pressing with your hands to help breadcrumbs adhere.
Place coated chicken pieces in the prepared baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and cooked through.
Serve with lemon wedges.