A colourful, crunchy, fresh, nutty, flavourful salad with a tahini dressing to die for! Brussel sprouts need to be sliced thinly, so it’s best to use a mandolin or a box grater, unless you have advanced knife skills. If fresh brussel sprouts are not in season, make this salad with cabbage. It’s just as delicious. Serve it as a side dish or a light lunch. It even tastes great the next day.
- About 800 grams fresh brussel sprouts, stem trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- ½ pomegranate seeds plus about 2 TBS to garnish
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbs sesame seeds
- 2 Tbs tahini paste
- 2 Tbs honey
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbs olive oil
- 5 Tbs lemon juice
- ½ Tbs apple cider vinegar
- Salt and a generous amount or freshly grated black pepper
Mix together in a large bowl all ingredients for the salad. Whisk together in a jar or salad dressing container, all the dressing ingredients until mixed very well. Drizzle the dressing over the salad (leave some to drizzle as garnish) and mix very well using your hands, making sure the dressing is evenly distributed. Taste and adjust salt, pepper or lemon juice to taste.
Leave to stand for 30 minutes then mix again. Mount salad on a plate, garnish with more pomegranate seeds and a light drizzling of the remaining dressing. Serve as a side dish or as a light lunch. Salad keeps covered in the fridge for one day.