If you like beets, you will feel all it’s goodness in one spoonful. I combined it with goat cheese and sour cream but you could do a lighter version, by substituting feta and yogurt. Sprinkled with pumpkin seeds it’s the best reason to get a red stained bottom lip at the end of a dinner.
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 500 grams beets, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1 ½ cup vegetable broth (or 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 1 ½ cup boiling water)
- 50 grams goat cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- 100 grams sour cream or yogurt, plus extra for serving
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 Tbs pumpkin seeds to garnish
In a pot over medium-high heat, add the butter and oil. Add the ginger, onion and garlic and cook stirring for a couple of minutes, until onion is soft. Add the carrot and the beets, give mixture a stir and then add the vegetable broth. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes, until beets are tender.
Transfer mixture to the bowl of a blender (be extra careful when handling hot liquids). Add goat cheese and sour cream. Blend everything together until soup is very smooth and velvety. Season with salt and pepper. Thin soup with some exrta water if it’s too thick.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.