Since I found my favourite recipe for lentil curry, I have been eager to turn it into a soup. All those spices and aromas pureed and served into a bowl with some crusty bread and a generous squeeze of lemon, it’s just perfect on a winter’s day. This soup is great. It’s very easy to prepare and incredibly hearty and filling. Red lentils, cooked with spices like cumin and mustard seeds then finished off with creamy coconut milk, fresh coriander leaves and lemon juice. I used my Thermomix for this recipe (instructions at the end), but you can easily cook it on the stove.
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 100 grams)
- 1 ½ cup red lentils (270 grams)
- 1 red or green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 2 ½ cups water (570 grams)
- 1 x 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped (30 grams)
- 2 Tbs lemon juice (30 grams)
In a large pot, put the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and cook stirring, until seeds are fragrant and slightly darker in colour. Mustard seeds will turn grey and begin to pop. Add the chopped onion, lower the heat to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is soft.
Add the lentils to the pot together with the chilli, turmeric, chilli powder and water. Bring to boil and simmer covered for about 15 minutes, until lentils are cooked through.
Add the coconut milk and coriander leaves. Cook for 2 minutes longer. Season soup with salt and pepper. Stir in the lemon juice and serve.
Note: You can pulse the soup two or three times in the food processor to make it less chunky, but don’t overdo it. It’s nice to “feel’ the lentils in your mouth.
- Put the cumin and mustard seeds in the Thermomix bowl. Cook 7 minutes, 120 C, speed 0,5.
- Add the olive oil and the onion. Chop 3 seconds, speed 5, then cook 3 minutes, 120 C, speed 1.
- Add lentils, chilli, turmeric, chilli powder and water. Cook 10 minutes, 100 C, speed 1.
- Add coconut milk and cook 5 minutes, 100 C, speed 1.
- Add fresh coriander and lemon juice. Chop 5 seconds, speed 5 and then cook 2 minutes, 100 C, speed 1.
- Serve warm.