I call this steak «black» since it gets really dark, almost black after cooking. Dark soy sauce in the marinade is respponsible for it’s dark colour, but also for it’s fantastic flavor. It’s very easy to prepare in advance since the steak needs that extra resting time before slicing. Use aged, very good quality beef fillet for this salad and cook medium-rare. Well-done steak is not an option here. This makes a fantastic lunch or dinner.
For the steak:
- 2-3 beef fillets (about 800 grams total)
- 3 Tbs dark soy sauce
- 3 Tbs honey
- 2 Tbs dry white wine
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 Tbs olive oil (or sunflower oil)
For the salad:
- About 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quarters
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced in rounds
- 1 medium red onion, sliced in rounds
- 4 radishes, sliced in rounds
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 Tbs pomegranate seeds
For the dressing:
- 4 Tbs Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce (chinese sweet chilli sauce is also fine)
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 3 tsp fish sauce (Nahm Pla)
- 1 red chilli pepper, without the seeds, finely chopped
- 1 mint sprig, leaves only
Mix in a bowl soy sauce, honey, wine and sesame oil to marinate the steaks. Put steaks in a plastic zip-lock bag and pour over the marinade. Close bag and leave meat to marinate for 3-24 hours.
Remove steaks from marinade. Discard marinade. In a heavy based skillet, add the oilive oil over medium-high heat. As soon as oil is hot add steaks and leave to cook, undisturbed for 3 minutes. You really need that caramelization on the meat so dont be tempted to turn too soon. Turn steaks over and cook 3 minutes more. Put steaks in a glass plate and leave to stand, uncovered for ½ an hour.
Mix together all ingredients for the dressing. In a large bowl, add all ingredients for the salad and drizzle with about 1-2 tablespoons of the dressing. Mix and spread salad in a shallow platter.
Slice steaks and drizzle with a 1-2 tablespoons of the dressing. Mix and then lay slices neatly on top of the vegetables. Drizzle salad with remaining dressing and serve.