I LOVE raw salmon. It’s such a delicious fish, and it works so well in salads or served plain with a fragrant marinade. Pink grapefruit gives this dish a tangy freshness. You can serve the salmon mixed in the salad, or separately. I prefer the second as I give the chance to my guests to make their own combinations. You can turn this dish easily into a ceviche, by dicing the salmon and mixing it with the marinate. Whatever you do, it will be delish!
You will need
- About 300 gr fresh, top quality Salmon
- 2 lime, juice and zest of one
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 2 Tbs honey
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 red chilli finely chopped (without the seeds)
- 1 Tbs spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
For the salad
- 4-5 cups mixed green leaves, such as lettuce, rocket, spinach, mustard leaves etc. Any green leaf works well here.
- 1 avocado, sliced and kept in lemon juice until serving time.
Juice one grapefruit and keep juice in a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients (lime juice and zest, honey, soy sauce, sesame seeds,ginger, vinegar, sesame oil, chilli, onion and coriander) and mix well.
Slice the salmon (no more than 5mm thick. Don’t have to be precise) and put in a serving platter. Drizzle with some of the dressing (not all, you will need some for the salad). Leave to marinate for 1 hour in the fridge. This will change the colour of the salmon slightly but I think it adds a ton of flavor. You can of course serve it right away.
Close to serving time, place all the green leaves in a salad bowl. Peel the second grapefruit making sure you remove the bitter white part. Cut in segments and add to the greens along with the sliced avocado. Dress the salad with some of the salmon dressing, mix and serve with the salmon.
Note: If you have extra salad dressing, put in a small bowl and serve as a dipping sauce for the salmon.
2 thoughts on “Salmon sashimi with pink grapefruit”
If we do not find pink grapefruit what can we use instead?
Regular, yellow grapefruit works just as well 🙂