This is one of the best dishes you can do with left-over, roasted chicken. I ALWAYS have left over chicken in the fridge as my kids refuse to eat the breast and always fight over the drumsticks. This salad is so easy to put together and can be served as a light lunch or dinner. If you dont have any left over chicken just poach or roast a couple of chicken breasts and you are half way there. If you want to poach the breasts add some ginger in the water for added flavour.
You will need:
- About 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 1-2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, coarlsely grated
- 1 small cucumber, chopped in sticks
- ½ red pepper (capsicum), chopped
- about 20 mint leaves
- ¼ cup salted, roasted peanuts
For the dressing:
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs sunflower oil (or other unflavoured oil)
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1-2 red chillies, finely chopped (take out the seeds if you don’t want too much heat)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
Mix all ingredients for the dressing and set aside for the flavors to develop.
In a large serving bowl, put all the ingredients for the salad. Drizzle with the dressing and mix well. Serve with a chilled glass of white wine.